Here is an interesting fact found in a recent research: There were 48,500 self-storage facilities in America at the end of 2014, compared to a mere 14,350 McDonald’s restaurants. At the same time, there were about 11,962 Starbucks coffee shops. Even the self storage outnumbers these two combined. The USA houses the most number of self storage facilities in the world and that is even by a big margin. According to a Self Storage Association report, every American household has about 21 feet of self storage space under their name, on an average. But 65% of Americans who rent storage units have a garage, 47% of them have an attic, 33% of them have a basement where they can store their things. That is even astounding. Here I present some interesting facts on self storage.
- The self storage company has an annual revenue of $33 billion. This amount has doubled in the past six years.
- According to StorEDGE, the USA dominates 90% of the global market of self storage with over 50,000 facilities available in around the whole country. USA has the most number of facilities of these kind followed by Canada and Australia. The biggest boom happened from 2000 to 2005, when the property size of these organisations almost doubled. They had also opined that we are now on the verge of another major boom in history of self storage.
- USA self storage facilities have more than 170,000 employees in total. Which implies, there are on an average 3.5 employees per facility.
- Total rentable space occupied by self storage facilities in USA is approximately 2.3 billion square feet, according to a survey of 2014. Which means there is 7.3 square feet of self storage space against a person in the USA. In other words, it is physically possible for everyone in the country, including the children, to stand in self storage unit simultaneously.
- It took the industry more than 25 years of work to acquire the first billion square feet of self storage space; but it took only 8 years (1998-2005) to have the next billion. As for now, it has about 2.3 billion square feet of space to use.
- So you have to be wealthy enough to afford a self storage facility for yourself, right? Wrong! Statistics shows that 47% of all self storage renters have an annual income of less than $50,000 per year; 63%have an annual income of less than $75,000 per year. So, don’t feel dejected if you are not rich.
- 2,634 out of 3,141 counties in the USA have at least one primary self storage facility.
- Today much of these services are integrated to the web. You can just search for storage units near you and you’ll get every piece of information.